So... I have some fun updates on the bees and have been waiting to share with all of you.
First, my bees have successfully made a new queen. I was able to spot her in the hive a few weeks ago... but due to some pretty crappy weather, I was also very afraid that she did not get a chance to leave the hive and mate... But upon seeing new larvae in some of the comb, I added another "super" to the hive so it looked like this:
Speaking of which, I found this when I opened the hive last week:
![]() |
| Photo courtesy of my brother, b, who is visiting right now |
I, too, think that this little bee was acting as the beaconing device for all her little sisters who had flown out of the hive for the first time today. This bee was shouting "OVER HERE! This is where you left from!" At least, I hope that's what they were doing :)
Now that I can kind of relax and stop worrying about the queen for a little while... I've turned my attention to pest control!
Bees have about a MILLION pests and parasites just waiting to take advantage of them, their honey stores and their nice, clean, well-maintained home. My new problem is this guy:
| Small Hive Beetle (left) and unidentified wormy thing that is not a beetle larvae (right) and general pollen and wax debris from the bottom of the hive (everywhere) |
Since I have no interest in introducing any chemicals into my hive (or the HONEY!), the solution to hive beetle is pretty simple: kill the ones you find!
After I confirmed the presence of hive beetles in the hive by pulling out the bottom board (pictured above), I went ahead and knocked everything into a bucket of soapy water. Then I sprayed off everything else with a hose and cleaned the board with ethanol, both because it would sanitize the mess and because it would aid in the water evaporation:
| Clean white corrugated plastic hive bottom |
Today after I checked the hive (and SAW THE QUEEN! HOORAY! She's STILL there!!), I pulled the sheet out again and about 10 of the little buggers had fallen onto the sheet while trying to escape the light/run from the bees being more active and... dumped them right into a bucket of soapy water! I also discovered some larvae in a pollen patty I was feeding the bees so I took that out and threw it in the freezer (and got stung by a dead bee that was stuck to it! ouch!).
So there it is. Phase one of Integrative Pest Management (IPM). I just ordered a bunch of new beekeeping supplies so I can talk more about IPM in a future post.
As a fun side note: What's a little entertaining is that these beetles are big enough for the bees to see but too small for the bees to get a hold of and sting to death (what they would normally do to hive invaders). My beekeeping teacher likens it to holding a soccer ball between your elbows and then trying to kick it... But man, the bees are not pleased to have these guys in their home... you can actually watch the bees chase the beetles around until they can hide in a crevice and the bee will still stand sentry, trying to get at the beetle.

No comments:
Post a Comment